The Charlatans Enlist Johnny Marr, Paul Weller, Stephen Morris, Ian Rankin for 'Different Days' LP
Published Mar 20, 2017Long-running UK indie rock outfit the Charlatans last delivered a new LP in 2015 with Modern Nature, and now they've unveiled plans for its follow-up. Titled Different Days, the new record is due out on May 26.
The album was self-produced by the band at their Crewe studio, though they did enlist a number of high-profile musicians for guest work. Legendary guitarist for the Smiths, Johnny Marr, plays the six-string on the title track, "Plastic Machinery" and "Not Forgotten" — and the latter two tracks also get a helping hand from the Brian Jonestown Massacre's Anton Newcombe.
Elsewhere, New Order drummer Stephen Morris also pitched in his percussion and programming talents on "Hey Sunrise" and "The Same House" (which also features his bandmate Gillian Gilbert on synthesizer), while the Verve's drummer Peter Salisbury can be heard behind the kit on "Hey Sunrise," "There Will Be Chances" and "Let's Go Together."
Not to be left out, the Jam's frontman-turned-solo-star Paul Weller also left his mark on the new album, co-writing and singing background vocals on closing track "Spinning Out."
As if that wasn't enough star power, there are also cameos from author Ian Rankin, who delivers a spoken word intro on "Future Tense"; Catastrophe actress Sharon Horgan, who does backing vocals on "Different Days"; and Lambchop's Kurt Wagner, who provides some spoken word bits on "The Forgotten One."
See the full tracklisting for Different Days down below. It's currently available for pre-order here.
1. Hey Sunrise (Drums Pete Salisbury, Programming Stephen Morris)
2. Solutions (Drums Stephen Morris BV's Nik Void)
3. Different Days (Guitar Johnny Marr, BV's Sharon Horgan)
4. Future Tense (Spoken word intro Ian Rankin)
5. Plastic Machinery (Guitar Johnny Marr & Anton Newcombe)
6. The Forgotten One (Spoken word intro Kurt Wagner)
7. Not Forgotten (Guitar Johnny Marr, Organ Anton Newcombe)
8. There Will Be Chances (Drums Pete Salisbury)
9. The Same House (Synthesiser Gillian Gilbert, Drums & Programming Stephen Morris)
10. Over Again (Percussion Donald Johnson [A Certain Ratio] BV's Nik Void [Factory Floor])
11. Lets Go Together (Drums Pete Salisbury)
12. The Setting Sun – Instrumental
13. Spinning Out (Co-written by Weller. Piano and BV's Paul Weller)